Nasir Jones stated on Bridging The Gap that “the blues came from gospel, gospel from blues.” Essentially, hip-hop came from those, mixed with a little rock ‘n roll, reggae and disco and eventually evolved into its own format. It sounds like Kooley High member Charlie Smarts definitely got that memo as his latest offering, Torture, blends several of those elements, resulting in a soulful and bluesy release from his upcoming LowBottomMe project, dropping on July 11. Produced by NC’s Marshall Law, Torture incorporates a dark demeanor with steady drums and eerie background keys over which the DJBooth Freestyle Series alum casually spits his verses. Known for being able to blend various styles and genres, Charlie delivers the goods on this track, and please tell me that chorus isn’t vicious?! Overall, Smarts is on a mission to make 2011 his year, and honestly with songs like Torture we can’t help but have high expectations for LowBottomMe.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 06/13/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.