Though North Carolina’s Kooley High have been semi-regular visitors to our front page, crew member Charlie Smarts hasn’t had a solo feature since – damn – all the way back in August of 2009. In any case, the emcee’s clearly kept his finger on the pulse of musical trends since last we saw him; for his latest leak, the First in Flight state mainstay puts his own spin on Feel It All Around, a popular single by chillwave standard-bearer Washed Up (for the uninitiated, chillwave is basically what would happen if ‘80s synth-pop got really high). Titled The Skin Smarts’ revamps finds him lacing the indie-rock singer-songwriter’s hazy instrumental backdrop with wounded reflections on prejudice and the feeling of discomfort in one’s own skin. Shaking his head at those unwilling (or unable) to size individuals up based on the content of their character, he wonders, “What if you made twins / would they be exactly the same, would you judge them on their brains then?” A stinging, yet insightful glimpse into the artist’s headspace, this genre-fusing remix is just one of many fresh jams set to appear on Charlie Smarts’ Trident LP, due out next month.
Written by richard on 02/24/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.