Since Little Brother set the underground on fire with The Listening in 2003, people have had their eyes and ears bent towards the Carolinas hoping to find more quality artists and sounds. The larger crew LB was part of, Justus League, fulfilled that role for years but recently Kooley High has emerged out of the Carolinas with an equally fresh sound. Even better - Kooley High member Charlie Smarts is starting to make noise as an solo artist. Over smooth horn filled production by Marshall Law, Charlie and Kooley collaborator Tab One deliver that cool Carolina flow they’re known for on Postcard. The song reflects on the reaction some people have had to their sudden underground success: “I’m front and center like a nose job. You said I’d never go so far. I sent you a postcard, on the house, no charge,” says the chorus with some tongue-in-cheek humor. Postcard is from an Smarts’ upcoming album LowBottomMe, out July 11.
Written by JC Poppe on 07/7/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.