Since Little Brother set the underground on fire with The Listening in 2003, people have had their eyes and ears bent towards the Carolinas hoping to find more quality artists and sounds. The larger crew LB was part of, Justus League, fulfilled that role for years but recently Kooley High has emerged out of the Carolinas with an equally fresh sound. Even better - Kooley High member Charlie Smarts is starting to make noise as an solo artist. Over smooth horn filled production by Marshall Law, Charlie and Kooley collaborator Tab One deliver that cool Carolina flow they’re known for on Postcard. The song reflects on the reaction some people have had to their sudden underground success: “I’m front and center like a nose job. You said I’d never go so far. I sent you a postcard, on the house, no charge,” says the chorus with some tongue-in-cheek humor. Postcard is from an Smarts’ upcoming album LowBottomMe, out July 11.
Written by JC Poppe on 07/7/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.