Believe it or not, Kooley High emcee Charlie Smarts was once just another luckless fella draining his bank account buying drinks for ladies he’d never see again. How did he did turn from an average shmoe into the ladykiller he is today? No, not by following the Mystery Method—he simply switched his focus to honing his skills on the mic; as he quickly found out, a lofty rep on the local music scene is a Bonanza when it comes to attracting women (I had to look that one up: “a source of great and sudden wealth or luck”). In addition to Smarts’ winning punchline lyricism, this track boasts some spectacularly catchy boardwork—a Four Tops sample is never a bad idea in my book, but D-Hurl goes beyond the call of duty, chopping the most memorable snippet from Without the One You Love into a beat best described as “pure ear candy.” Those who like what they hear can find more of this up-and-comer’s head-bobbing ruminations on love and relationships on his debut LP, f’alex (available now from online retailers). Check back with us this October for Charlie Smarts’ contribution to our DJBooth.net Freestyle Series!
Written by richard on 08/25/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.