Believe it or not, Kooley High emcee Charlie Smarts was once just another luckless fella draining his bank account buying drinks for ladies he’d never see again. How did he did turn from an average shmoe into the ladykiller he is today? No, not by following the Mystery Method—he simply switched his focus to honing his skills on the mic; as he quickly found out, a lofty rep on the local music scene is a Bonanza when it comes to attracting women (I had to look that one up: “a source of great and sudden wealth or luck”). In addition to Smarts’ winning punchline lyricism, this track boasts some spectacularly catchy boardwork—a Four Tops sample is never a bad idea in my book, but D-Hurl goes beyond the call of duty, chopping the most memorable snippet from Without the One You Love into a beat best described as “pure ear candy.” Those who like what they hear can find more of this up-and-comer’s head-bobbing ruminations on love and relationships on his debut LP, f’alex (available now from online retailers). Check back with us this October for Charlie Smarts’ contribution to our DJBooth.net Freestyle Series!
Listen to More: Charlie Smarts
Written by richard on 08/25/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.