Where would we be without our Mothers? I meant that as a rhetorical question but, hey, that never stopped me before: we’d be nowhere, since we wouldn’t have been born. Beyond their miraculous ability to create new humans, moms (good ones, anyway) help us navigate life’s troubled waters in myriad ways, large and small. On the first Booth feature from Charlie Hilton, the UK beatsmith teams up with D.C.-repping emcee/singer (and fellow first-time featuree) Khalil Ismail to pay tribute to the most important ladies in their lives. The headliner hits a home run behind the boards, distilling Aretha Franklin’s classic I Say a Little Prayer into a brilliantly catchy loop as Ismail expresses his undying gratitude to the woman who carried him for nine months, nursed him at her breast, put in endless hours of labor as a “...gatekeeper, protector, psychologist, the first teacher, doctor, pediatrician.”—and didn’t ask for a red cent in return. Has this heartfelt jam inspired to call your mom up and tell her you love her? Go ahead, I’ll wait… done? Cool. You’ll be able to find plenty more fresh tunes where this came from on Charlie Hilton’s Collector’s Edition tape, set for release this summer.
Written by richard on 03/27/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.