It’s not uncommon for an artist’s big break to come only after many years on the hustle, but few have had to wait as long as Charles Bradley. Born in 1948, the Florida native played small shows (including some as James Brown impersonator “Black Velvet”) for decades before finally being discovered and releasing his 2011 solo debut, No Time for Dreaming, at the age of 62. On Strictly Reserved for You, his first Booth feature and the lead single off his sophomore studio album, Bradley showcases the passionate, retro-informed vocal style that led some to call him “The Screaming Eagle of Soul,” backed by the Menahan Street Band‘s fittingly old-school instrumentation. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Victim of Love, out today via Dunham Records.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.