It’s not uncommon for an artist’s big break to come only after many years on the hustle, but few have had to wait as long as Charles Bradley. Born in 1948, the Florida native played small shows (including some as James Brown impersonator “Black Velvet”) for decades before finally being discovered and releasing his 2011 solo debut, No Time for Dreaming, at the age of 62. On Strictly Reserved for You, his first Booth feature and the lead single off his sophomore studio album, Bradley showcases the passionate, retro-informed vocal style that led some to call him “The Screaming Eagle of Soul,” backed by the Menahan Street Band‘s fittingly old-school instrumentation. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Victim of Love, out today via Dunham Records.
Written by richard on 04/2/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.