It’s not uncommon for an artist’s big break to come only after many years on the hustle, but few have had to wait as long as Charles Bradley. Born in 1948, the Florida native played small shows (including some as James Brown impersonator “Black Velvet”) for decades before finally being discovered and releasing his 2011 solo debut, No Time for Dreaming, at the age of 62. On Strictly Reserved for You, his first Booth feature and the lead single off his sophomore studio album, Bradley showcases the passionate, retro-informed vocal style that led some to call him “The Screaming Eagle of Soul,” backed by the Menahan Street Band‘s fittingly old-school instrumentation. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Victim of Love, out today via Dunham Records.
Written by richard on 04/2/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.