It’s not uncommon for an artist’s big break to come only after many years on the hustle, but few have had to wait as long as Charles Bradley. Born in 1948, the Florida native played small shows (including some as James Brown impersonator “Black Velvet”) for decades before finally being discovered and releasing his 2011 solo debut, No Time for Dreaming, at the age of 62. On Strictly Reserved for You, his first Booth feature and the lead single off his sophomore studio album, Bradley showcases the passionate, retro-informed vocal style that led some to call him “The Screaming Eagle of Soul,” backed by the Menahan Street Band‘s fittingly old-school instrumentation. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Victim of Love, out today via Dunham Records.
Written by richard on 04/2/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.