It’s not uncommon for an artist’s big break to come only after many years on the hustle, but few have had to wait as long as Charles Bradley. Born in 1948, the Florida native played small shows (including some as James Brown impersonator “Black Velvet”) for decades before finally being discovered and releasing his 2011 solo debut, No Time for Dreaming, at the age of 62. On Strictly Reserved for You, his first Booth feature and the lead single off his sophomore studio album, Bradley showcases the passionate, retro-informed vocal style that led some to call him “The Screaming Eagle of Soul,” backed by the Menahan Street Band‘s fittingly old-school instrumentation. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Victim of Love, out today via Dunham Records.
Written by richard on 04/2/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.