As long as there have rappers signed to music labels, there have been issues. From Dr. Dre and Death Row to Clipse and Lupe Fiasco, there’s always drama brewing. You can now add Houston representative Chamillionaire and his struggles with his still unreleased album Venom to that mix. Today, with rumors swirling that Cham was going to part ways with Universal Republic, he self-released the new rider When Ya On. Produced by Andrew Dawson, whom also worked on Kanye’s MBDT, the beat provides a catchy piano rhythm with drums to match, on which Chamillionaire discusses the issue directly linked to the title; how folks only love you When Ya On. Cham provides a catchy sing-along hook while bringing Nipsey Hussle for assistance on a perfectly blended closing verse, working out well as the spitter blends in perfectly with the West Coast-influenced beat. We don’t know what the future will hold for Cham, but I do know that this is one of the most promising songs I’ve heard from him since Ultimate Victory. Hopefully we’ve got much, much more coming.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/16/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bet That ft. Chamillionaire & Goldrush" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.