As long as there have rappers signed to music labels, there have been issues. From Dr. Dre and Death Row to Clipse and Lupe Fiasco, there’s always drama brewing. You can now add Houston representative Chamillionaire and his struggles with his still unreleased album Venom to that mix. Today, with rumors swirling that Cham was going to part ways with Universal Republic, he self-released the new rider When Ya On. Produced by Andrew Dawson, whom also worked on Kanye’s MBDT, the beat provides a catchy piano rhythm with drums to match, on which Chamillionaire discusses the issue directly linked to the title; how folks only love you When Ya On. Cham provides a catchy sing-along hook while bringing Nipsey Hussle for assistance on a perfectly blended closing verse, working out well as the spitter blends in perfectly with the West Coast-influenced beat. We don’t know what the future will hold for Cham, but I do know that this is one of the most promising songs I’ve heard from him since Ultimate Victory. Hopefully we’ve got much, much more coming.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bet That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)