Exhilarating as it might be in a fictional context, there’s nothing glamorous about the reality of gunplay. On freshly-minted promo single Don’t Shoot, Houston vet Chamillionaire urges listeners not to get suckered in by romanticized portraits of criminal life, spitting, “Your favorite rapper ain’t in the streets / He at a nice hotel or at a festival.” In addition to puncturing rap mythology, Cham takes the opportunity to opine on who the real thugs are in American society. Over Smoke Beatz‘s epic string/choral production, he lets loose at drug-dealing cops, NSA snoops and racist vigilantes (both uniformed and otherwise). Do I even have to specify that his flow is impeccable? Don’t Shoot isn’t part of a larger project, but those feeling it can keep their browsers locked for more from the Southern mainstay.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bet That ft. Chamillionaire & Goldrush" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.