Exhilarating as it might be in a fictional context, there’s nothing glamorous about the reality of gunplay. On freshly-minted promo single Don’t Shoot, Houston vet Chamillionaire urges listeners not to get suckered in by romanticized portraits of criminal life, spitting, “Your favorite rapper ain’t in the streets / He at a nice hotel or at a festival.” In addition to puncturing rap mythology, Cham takes the opportunity to opine on who the real thugs are in American society. Over Smoke Beatz‘s epic string/choral production, he lets loose at drug-dealing cops, NSA snoops and racist vigilantes (both uniformed and otherwise). Do I even have to specify that his flow is impeccable? Don’t Shoot isn’t part of a larger project, but those feeling it can keep their browsers locked for more from the Southern mainstay.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bet That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.