Exhilarating as it might be in a fictional context, there’s nothing glamorous about the reality of gunplay. On freshly-minted promo single Don’t Shoot, Houston vet Chamillionaire urges listeners not to get suckered in by romanticized portraits of criminal life, spitting, “Your favorite rapper ain’t in the streets / He at a nice hotel or at a festival.” In addition to puncturing rap mythology, Cham takes the opportunity to opine on who the real thugs are in American society. Over Smoke Beatz‘s epic string/choral production, he lets loose at drug-dealing cops, NSA snoops and racist vigilantes (both uniformed and otherwise). Do I even have to specify that his flow is impeccable? Don’t Shoot isn’t part of a larger project, but those feeling it can keep their browsers locked for more from the Southern mainstay.
Written by richard on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bet That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label