In the wake of acclaimed alt-hip-hop group Jurassic 5’s ‘07 split, it’s understandable that Chali 2na is feeling a bit like a Fish Outta Water. Nonetheless, it seems that the husky-voiced emcee’s solo career is going swimmingly, and on the lead single off his forthcoming LP, he lets listeners everywhere know that he can still Lock Sh*t Down. 2na and guest artist Talib Kweli kick off the cut by requesting listeners, “sit back and just watch us bubble,” and, true to form, both emcees “come with more heat than the sun do.” Over Jake One‘s leisurely mix of staccato synths and swung percussion (accented by occasional power-drill sound effects), the twosome spit braggadocio-heavy verses brimming with polysyllabic rhymes, and the contrast between Chali’s stentorian delivery and Talib’s chilled-out but still aggressive flow is just the seasoning this record needs in order to hook listeners. A lead single that tastes good and has good taste, Lock Sh*t Down should convince many to take the dive and pick up a copy of Fish Outta Water when it drops on June 23rd.
Written by richard on 05/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Start Spreading the News ft. Chali 2na & Jahi" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.