Sampling Coldplay and collaborating with pop-punkers are common tactics of hip-hop artists looking to expand their audience – but, if my calculations are correct, attempting to do both at once would result in such a high concentration of crossover appeal that you’d risk destroying the very fabric of space-time. Then again, I was never much of a math whiz. In any case, Booth newcomer Chae Hawk‘s latest single, Lost, finds him boldly venturing where others haven’t dared to tread. J.R. Rotem helms the boards, interpolating the Brit-rockers’ eponymous cut into an anthemic hip-hop instrumental (which some may recognize from B.o.B‘s unreleased Not Lost). The Buffalo repper delivers lofty lyricism to match, lacing the beat with lovingly-described fantasies of fame and fortune (complete with the obligatory nod to Juicy). Good Charlotte frontman Joel Madden delivers the coup de grace, putting his own (Autotune-drecnhed) spin on Chris Martin’s chorus. Will this single earn Hawk the demographic-bridging success he desires? Speculate away – and, if you’re digging it stay tuned for an official release of his Blues of a Journeyman LP.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.