Sampling Coldplay and collaborating with pop-punkers are common tactics of hip-hop artists looking to expand their audience – but, if my calculations are correct, attempting to do both at once would result in such a high concentration of crossover appeal that you’d risk destroying the very fabric of space-time. Then again, I was never much of a math whiz. In any case, Booth newcomer Chae Hawk‘s latest single, Lost, finds him boldly venturing where others haven’t dared to tread. J.R. Rotem helms the boards, interpolating the Brit-rockers’ eponymous cut into an anthemic hip-hop instrumental (which some may recognize from B.o.B‘s unreleased Not Lost). The Buffalo repper delivers lofty lyricism to match, lacing the beat with lovingly-described fantasies of fame and fortune (complete with the obligatory nod to Juicy). Good Charlotte frontman Joel Madden delivers the coup de grace, putting his own (Autotune-drecnhed) spin on Chris Martin’s chorus. Will this single earn Hawk the demographic-bridging success he desires? Speculate away – and, if you’re digging it stay tuned for an official release of his Blues of a Journeyman LP.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.