As his stage name suggests (and as he made clear on his last feature, Styles Ain’t Raw), Tampa native Celph Titled is a rugged individualist who considers himself a breed apart from your average (read: sucker) emcee. Arrogant? Absolutely. But, as he once again proves on his and producer Buckwild‘s latest album leak, Step Correctly, the man has mic skills plenty sharp enough to back up his bad attitude. Over a gritty, sampled beat from Buck’s vault (all instrumentals on the project were created in the mid-90s), the rapper comes with two verses’ worth of braggadocio and trash talk, peppering his bars with absurdist punchlines that only get funnier with repeat listens: “I was a stick-up kid, it was f*cked-up but fun (Why?) Cause I used a Nintendo Duck Hunt gun.” With Celph’s side-splitting lyricism and his partner’s old-school grooves, this joint should dissuade all but the bravest from stepping to the emcee-producer duo. Those who like what they’re hearing, however, will most definitely want to step down to their local record stores on Oct. 26, when Nineteen Ninety Now is scheduled to drop.
Written by richard on 08/18/10
Submit your Rating
No Sleep Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shoot First" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.