When I read the title of Cello Figaro‘s latest single, Red & White Blues (2nd Movement Begins), I was expecting an angry denunciation of the American dream. Well, the Minneapolis-based emcee/producer is mad, all right, but the catalyst for his fury is more personal than political in nature. On the final song release off his forthcoming mixtape (an exclusive world premiere!), Figaro describes his reaction upon seeing his girl with another dude: “I get the blues… I see red, then white—aw, sh*t!” But his romantic frustrations haven’t dampened his ambition in the game. Over his own left-of-center electronic boardwork, he boldly proclaims, “When I’m on top y’all gon’ look like Pompeii / My lifelong goal’s to outdo Kanye.” For this joint, October’s The Loner’s Anthem II and much more, cop Concerto Grosso when it hits the Booth December 6, for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 11/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Meteor Showers (The Next Time the World Ends)" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.