If I could have one wish (shout out to Ray J), I’d ask for a powder blue ’65 Chevy Malibu with Rosa Acosta riding shotgun. But if I could have two wishes, I’d also ask for Cee-Lo Green to start rapping again. Since it looks like neither of those wishes are going to come true, I guess I’ll just have to be happy with beautiful music like Lo’s new single Old Fashioned. True to its name, Old Fashioned takes a page out of the Raphael Saadiq playbook and reaches back to some truly classic soul sounds, giving the Gnarls Barkley founder a string-laced, slowly walking beat to croon over, complete with back-up vocals from the Lo-Ettes. (Ok, I made that up, but it should definitely be the name of Cee-Lo’s back-up singers.) As much as I want to hear some rap, I can’t front, the man can sing an absolutely gorgeous song. Damnit. To capitalize on the surprise success of Green’s previous single, F**k You, his upcoming album The Lady Killer has been pushed up from December to November 9. Ladies, consider yourselves warned.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/20/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everything I Love ft. Nas & Cee-Lo" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)