Some people, when they’re suffering from a broken heart, have a tendency to express their hurt by saying stupid, vindictive things to or about the person they love. Things like “f**k you,” and “Oh sh*t, she’s a gold-digger.” Cee-Lo Green knows exactly what I’m talking about, judging by the newly-released lead single off his senior solo set. On Only You, premiered Tuesday via Rolling Stone, the R&B heavyweight lets an ex-girl know that is feelings for her haven’t changed, despite his lashing out at her in the past. Elektra/Atlantic labelmate Lauriana Mae plays the woman in question, echoing Green’s romantic longing in her guest verse and chorus, and an uncredited beatsmith provides a lush, pop-soul backdrop for their duet. How about it, readers: is Only You worthy to stand alongside the Cee-Lo’s previous solo hits? Debate away—and keep it locked for the latest on the singer’s unscheduled forthcoming set, Cee Lo Green… Is Everybody’s Brother.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Cee-Lo’s Ethan Lader-directed Only You visual.
Written by richard on 03/1/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everything I Love ft. Nas & Cee-Lo" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.