I’m sorry, but as a long, long time Cee-Lo Green supporter (shout out to Goodie Mob) I have to start this intro with a plea: please, please start rapping again Cee-Lo. The mic misses you, come back. Still, unlike Mos Def from 2004-2009, Cee-Lo’s forays into other genres have been nothing but dope, including his new single Georgia. Conceptually Georgia is everything we’d expect from the constantly creative Mr. Green as he cleverly conflates his actual mother and his native state, while musically Georgia paces the track with a retro, big-band feel that Cee-Lo uses to unleash one of the better vocal performances we’ve ever heard from the man. Seriously, when the horns kick in on the chorus and Lo sustains that high note? I almost wet my pants I was so excited. (Hey, I said “almost.”) Looks like GA has a new anthem. Will Cee-Lo’s upcoming album The Lady Killer feature any rhyming? We’ll have to wait until…whenever the as-yet unscheduled album finally drops to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/2/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everything I Love" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.