Thought Huey Lewis and the News were the first to postulate the hipness of squareness? Think again—songwriters Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller advanced a similar thesis decades earlier on You’re So Square (I Don’t Care), a minor pop standard performed by everyone from Elvis Presley, to Buddy Holly, to… Cee-Lo Green. The F*ck You hitmaker’s rendition of the record, a tribute to Buddy Holly’s hit cover, finds the artist showcasing his prodigious talents both on the mic and behind the boards, serving up a vintage rock ‘n’ roll backdrop for his own throwback vocal stylings. For more modern homages to a rock legend, check out tribute album Rave On Buddy Holly when it hits stores June 28.
Written by richard on 06/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everything I Love" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.