If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching numerous rap hopefuls rise to prominence in the game, it’s that success is never quite what one expects. Which I suppose means that, if you pursue your dreams with the inevitability of disappointment and disillusionment in mind at all times, inner peace and fulfillment are sure to follow. Uh, on second thought, you may want to ignore my advice and follow Ced Hughes’ example; on What You Wanted, the latest release off his recent, Booth-sponsored mixtape, the ATL repper takes an optimistic yet levelheaded approach to his artistic grind, acknowledging the harsh realities of the game but showing a willingness to change and adapt as circumstances come into clearer focus. Over the spacey grooves of Norwegian electronic duo Royskopp, the freestyle series alumnus offers a down-to-earth account the conflicts that characterize the artist’s life: ambition versus the desire for security, money versus integrity, workouts versus steak and french fries…Tanya Morgan emcee Donwill guests, exposing the reality of the major-label hustle on the back. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits One Day We’ll Wake Up, available here for free download.
Written by richard on 08/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.