Have you ever tasted jambalaya? If you have, you know it’s basically a hodgepodge of seemingly incompatible ingredients dumped together that cook and blend to produce a taste that, if done well, will have you asking for seconds. Jambalaya, though, is a rare example of a mixture of different flavors that doesn’t make your face contort in disgust – most experimental dishes aren’t so lucky. Unfortunately, Freestyle Series alumnus Ced Hughes’ UP! High may, to some ears, need a couple of ingredients removed or re-seasoned. With Hudson Mohawke (who recently provided the beat for Nero’s The FIFTH) crafting an off-center, electro-infused production and Ced’s “I’ve heard that before” lyrics, as much as it tries not to be, the track is ironically predictable and suffers as a result. However, as different as the flavors in jambalaya are, so are the opinions of the Booth community, so I might just be the one in the minority. If UP! High pleases your musical taste buds, be sure to check it on Ced Hughes’ Margarine EP, which is available now.
Listen to More: Ced Hughes Written by Matty K
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.