Have you ever tasted jambalaya? If you have, you know it’s basically a hodgepodge of seemingly incompatible ingredients dumped together that cook and blend to produce a taste that, if done well, will have you asking for seconds. Jambalaya, though, is a rare example of a mixture of different flavors that doesn’t make your face contort in disgust – most experimental dishes aren’t so lucky. Unfortunately, Freestyle Series alumnus Ced Hughes’ UP! High may, to some ears, need a couple of ingredients removed or re-seasoned. With Hudson Mohawke (who recently provided the beat for Nero’s The FIFTH) crafting an off-center, electro-infused production and Ced’s “I’ve heard that before” lyrics, as much as it tries not to be, the track is ironically predictable and suffers as a result. However, as different as the flavors in jambalaya are, so are the opinions of the Booth community, so I might just be the one in the minority. If UP! High pleases your musical taste buds, be sure to check it on Ced Hughes’ Margarine EP, which is available now.
Written by Matty K on 07/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.