Have you ever tasted jambalaya? If you have, you know it’s basically a hodgepodge of seemingly incompatible ingredients dumped together that cook and blend to produce a taste that, if done well, will have you asking for seconds. Jambalaya, though, is a rare example of a mixture of different flavors that doesn’t make your face contort in disgust – most experimental dishes aren’t so lucky. Unfortunately, Freestyle Series alumnus Ced Hughes’ UP! High may, to some ears, need a couple of ingredients removed or re-seasoned. With Hudson Mohawke (who recently provided the beat for Nero’s The FIFTH) crafting an off-center, electro-infused production and Ced’s “I’ve heard that before” lyrics, as much as it tries not to be, the track is ironically predictable and suffers as a result. However, as different as the flavors in jambalaya are, so are the opinions of the Booth community, so I might just be the one in the minority. If UP! High pleases your musical taste buds, be sure to check it on Ced Hughes’ Margarine EP, which is available now.
Written by Matty K on 07/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.