Have you ever tasted jambalaya? If you have, you know it’s basically a hodgepodge of seemingly incompatible ingredients dumped together that cook and blend to produce a taste that, if done well, will have you asking for seconds. Jambalaya, though, is a rare example of a mixture of different flavors that doesn’t make your face contort in disgust – most experimental dishes aren’t so lucky. Unfortunately, Freestyle Series alumnus Ced Hughes’ UP! High may, to some ears, need a couple of ingredients removed or re-seasoned. With Hudson Mohawke (who recently provided the beat for Nero’s The FIFTH) crafting an off-center, electro-infused production and Ced’s “I’ve heard that before” lyrics, as much as it tries not to be, the track is ironically predictable and suffers as a result. However, as different as the flavors in jambalaya are, so are the opinions of the Booth community, so I might just be the one in the minority. If UP! High pleases your musical taste buds, be sure to check it on Ced Hughes’ Margarine EP, which is available now.
Listen to More: Ced Hughes
Written by Matty K on 07/8/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.