8-bit music is no stranger to hip-hop, and neither is dubstep. DMV artist Ced Hughes has taken the sounds and swagger of both styles and applied them to his self-produced The Sh*t, the final leak from his DJBooth-hosted project One Day We’ll Wake Up, which drops tomorrow (Wednesday). With a chopped and screwed chorus of “I’m the sh*t b*tch” and several references to fecal matter, there can be no doubt about the Freestyle alum‘s self-confidence. The beat itself flows just as well at Hughes raps over it, with a fantastic “Easter egg” at the end of the song in the form of a beat change. Also, if you listen very closely it sounds like he’s sampled M.O.P.’s Oh! At times, the coherence of the subject matter isn’t 100% congruent, but when swagging out, as long as it sounds cool, that’s all that matters.
Written by JC Poppe on 07/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.