8-bit music is no stranger to hip-hop, and neither is dubstep. DMV artist Ced Hughes has taken the sounds and swagger of both styles and applied them to his self-produced The Sh*t, the final leak from his DJBooth-hosted project One Day We’ll Wake Up, which drops tomorrow (Wednesday). With a chopped and screwed chorus of “I’m the sh*t b*tch” and several references to fecal matter, there can be no doubt about the Freestyle alum‘s self-confidence. The beat itself flows just as well at Hughes raps over it, with a fantastic “Easter egg” at the end of the song in the form of a beat change. Also, if you listen very closely it sounds like he’s sampled M.O.P.’s Oh! At times, the coherence of the subject matter isn’t 100% congruent, but when swagging out, as long as it sounds cool, that’s all that matters.
Written by JC Poppe on 07/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)