If you’re still snoozing on Ced Hughes after several years of dope features, you’ve got no one but yourself to blame. (Unless you’re narcoleptic, or in a coma—then I suppose I’ll let you off the hook.) Sick of banging pots and pans together in hopes of shaking hip-hop heads from their somnolence, the ATL rhymesayer tries a little reverse psychology on his latest loosie, encouraging drowsy listeners to SleepTight as he rocks the mic for the rest of us. Over a beat by UK DJ/producer Star Slinger, who bases his chaotically catchy instrumental around a chopped sample of indie-rock group Rollerskaters’ single of the same title, the always-innovative emcee delivers more of of the blunted yet breakneck bars fans have come to know and love. Whether you prefer Ced as as a faded surrealist (“My brain is like a telescope / aimed at her lips while she blows out that indo smoke.”) or a purveyor of rapid-fire flows (see: the last several bars), this joint delivers the goods. SleepTight isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can still cop Hughes’ last street release, the RJD2-produced Ced Colossus?!, for free right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.