If you’re still snoozing on Ced Hughes after several years of dope features, you’ve got no one but yourself to blame. (Unless you’re narcoleptic, or in a coma—then I suppose I’ll let you off the hook.) Sick of banging pots and pans together in hopes of shaking hip-hop heads from their somnolence, the ATL rhymesayer tries a little reverse psychology on his latest loosie, encouraging drowsy listeners to SleepTight as he rocks the mic for the rest of us. Over a beat by UK DJ/producer Star Slinger, who bases his chaotically catchy instrumental around a chopped sample of indie-rock group Rollerskaters’ single of the same title, the always-innovative emcee delivers more of of the blunted yet breakneck bars fans have come to know and love. Whether you prefer Ced as as a faded surrealist (“My brain is like a telescope / aimed at her lips while she blows out that indo smoke.”) or a purveyor of rapid-fire flows (see: the last several bars), this joint delivers the goods. SleepTight isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can still cop Hughes’ last street release, the RJD2-produced Ced Colossus?!, for free right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)