If you’re still snoozing on Ced Hughes after several years of dope features, you’ve got no one but yourself to blame. (Unless you’re narcoleptic, or in a coma—then I suppose I’ll let you off the hook.) Sick of banging pots and pans together in hopes of shaking hip-hop heads from their somnolence, the ATL rhymesayer tries a little reverse psychology on his latest loosie, encouraging drowsy listeners to SleepTight as he rocks the mic for the rest of us. Over a beat by UK DJ/producer Star Slinger, who bases his chaotically catchy instrumental around a chopped sample of indie-rock group Rollerskaters’ single of the same title, the always-innovative emcee delivers more of of the blunted yet breakneck bars fans have come to know and love. Whether you prefer Ced as as a faded surrealist (“My brain is like a telescope / aimed at her lips while she blows out that indo smoke.”) or a purveyor of rapid-fire flows (see: the last several bars), this joint delivers the goods. SleepTight isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can still cop Hughes’ last street release, the RJD2-produced Ced Colossus?!, for free right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.