If you’re still snoozing on Ced Hughes after several years of dope features, you’ve got no one but yourself to blame. (Unless you’re narcoleptic, or in a coma—then I suppose I’ll let you off the hook.) Sick of banging pots and pans together in hopes of shaking hip-hop heads from their somnolence, the ATL rhymesayer tries a little reverse psychology on his latest loosie, encouraging drowsy listeners to SleepTight as he rocks the mic for the rest of us. Over a beat by UK DJ/producer Star Slinger, who bases his chaotically catchy instrumental around a chopped sample of indie-rock group Rollerskaters’ single of the same title, the always-innovative emcee delivers more of of the blunted yet breakneck bars fans have come to know and love. Whether you prefer Ced as as a faded surrealist (“My brain is like a telescope / aimed at her lips while she blows out that indo smoke.”) or a purveyor of rapid-fire flows (see: the last several bars), this joint delivers the goods. SleepTight isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can still cop Hughes’ last street release, the RJD2-produced Ced Colossus?!, for free right here in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 04/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.