It was October of 2010 and we were hearing a lot about Ced Hughes’ upcoming album One Day We’ll Wake Up. In fact, judging by ratings for previous single Shoot Down the Stars it could be said that the Booth was eagerly awaiting the Virginia/N. Carolinian’s project. And then….a mysterious hiatus that was recently broken with the release of Youth Blood and now the exclamation point enhanced Lights! For the latest stop in his comeback tour Ced grabs a haunting, Ellie Goulding sample originally created by Chiddy Bang producer Xaphoon Jones for his Mixtape Vol. 2 project and adds his own spin, adding a lyrical aggression absent the first time around. Touching on everything from his own commitment to escaping the Earth’s creative gravity to dropping one of the better old school Transformers references you’re every going to hear, this is yet another worthy addition to Hughes’ widely expanding catalog. If you’re feeling all of the Lights! on Ced’s latest be sure to cop his One Day We’ll Wake Up Mixtape, (finally) set to drop via DJBooth later this month.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It Is What It Is ft. Ced Hughes" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.