Signing a deal with YMCMB would be a big break for anyone; when you manage to ink that contract before turning 20, like Booth newcomer Caskey, “good fortune” hardly begins to describe it. But don’t get it twisted—the road that led up to the Orlando repper’s current position of power was long, difficult and rife with struggle. On The Truth, a mixtape inclusion that predates his label deal, the artist spits about the emotional pain of growing up without a father, and the stress of pursuing his artistic ambitions while financially supporting his family. A sampled Rashid Hadee beat originally featured on Little Brother‘s Dreams backs his autobiographical verses, before dropping away for an extended a cappella outro. Official visuals come courtesy of Legit Looks. Fans can find this poignant jam on Caskey’s Homegrown Vol. 1 street album, digitally released back in spring of 2011.
Written by richard on 01/30/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Mad" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.