Signing a deal with YMCMB would be a big break for anyone; when you manage to ink that contract before turning 20, like Booth newcomer Caskey, “good fortune” hardly begins to describe it. But don’t get it twisted—the road that led up to the Orlando repper’s current position of power was long, difficult and rife with struggle. On The Truth, a mixtape inclusion that predates his label deal, the artist spits about the emotional pain of growing up without a father, and the stress of pursuing his artistic ambitions while financially supporting his family. A sampled Rashid Hadee beat originally featured on Little Brother‘s Dreams backs his autobiographical verses, before dropping away for an extended a cappella outro. Official visuals come courtesy of Legit Looks. Fans can find this poignant jam on Caskey’s Homegrown Vol. 1 street album, digitally released back in spring of 2011.
Written by richard on 01/30/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Mad" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.