The first line of Indiana emcee cas One‘s MySpace bio reads, “I sew together my demons and make ‘em look purty,” and I can hardly think of a better way to describe what he’s doing on this newly-released cut. The demon the Booth newcomer’s addressing on Flashbacks, though, is one he shares with just about everyone—if you’ve ever had to come to grips with a life-changing event, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll identify with his poetically hopeful yet desperation-tinged rhymes here. Fortunately, Brother Ali is on hand to act as the voice of experience; as the Minneapolis rapper encourages Cas to keep his chin up, his stern delivery is tempered by Sauce‘s airy, lushly-sampled instrumental. The record’s ‘purty’ as all get-out (particularly on the production tip), and is sure to leave fans of emotionally-charged underground hip-hop hungry for more—if you fall into that camp, you’ll be happy to hear that cas One’s latest album, Liberation, is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 04/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
" Doomsday (Ode To The Butchers Thieves)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.