The first line of Indiana emcee cas One‘s MySpace bio reads, “I sew together my demons and make ‘em look purty,” and I can hardly think of a better way to describe what he’s doing on this newly-released cut. The demon the Booth newcomer’s addressing on Flashbacks, though, is one he shares with just about everyone—if you’ve ever had to come to grips with a life-changing event, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll identify with his poetically hopeful yet desperation-tinged rhymes here. Fortunately, Brother Ali is on hand to act as the voice of experience; as the Minneapolis rapper encourages Cas to keep his chin up, his stern delivery is tempered by Sauce‘s airy, lushly-sampled instrumental. The record’s ‘purty’ as all get-out (particularly on the production tip), and is sure to leave fans of emotionally-charged underground hip-hop hungry for more—if you fall into that camp, you’ll be happy to hear that cas One’s latest album, Liberation, is available now in stores and online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doomsday (Ode To The Butchers Thieves)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.