The first line of Indiana emcee cas One‘s MySpace bio reads, “I sew together my demons and make ‘em look purty,” and I can hardly think of a better way to describe what he’s doing on this newly-released cut. The demon the Booth newcomer’s addressing on Flashbacks, though, is one he shares with just about everyone—if you’ve ever had to come to grips with a life-changing event, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll identify with his poetically hopeful yet desperation-tinged rhymes here. Fortunately, Brother Ali is on hand to act as the voice of experience; as the Minneapolis rapper encourages Cas to keep his chin up, his stern delivery is tempered by Sauce‘s airy, lushly-sampled instrumental. The record’s ‘purty’ as all get-out (particularly on the production tip), and is sure to leave fans of emotionally-charged underground hip-hop hungry for more—if you fall into that camp, you’ll be happy to hear that cas One’s latest album, Liberation, is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 04/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
" Doomsday (Ode To The Butchers Thieves)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.