The first line of Indiana emcee cas One‘s MySpace bio reads, “I sew together my demons and make ‘em look purty,” and I can hardly think of a better way to describe what he’s doing on this newly-released cut. The demon the Booth newcomer’s addressing on Flashbacks, though, is one he shares with just about everyone—if you’ve ever had to come to grips with a life-changing event, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll identify with his poetically hopeful yet desperation-tinged rhymes here. Fortunately, Brother Ali is on hand to act as the voice of experience; as the Minneapolis rapper encourages Cas to keep his chin up, his stern delivery is tempered by Sauce‘s airy, lushly-sampled instrumental. The record’s ‘purty’ as all get-out (particularly on the production tip), and is sure to leave fans of emotionally-charged underground hip-hop hungry for more—if you fall into that camp, you’ll be happy to hear that cas One’s latest album, Liberation, is available now in stores and online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doomsday (Ode To The Butchers Thieves)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.