The first line of Indiana emcee cas One‘s MySpace bio reads, “I sew together my demons and make ‘em look purty,” and I can hardly think of a better way to describe what he’s doing on this newly-released cut. The demon the Booth newcomer’s addressing on Flashbacks, though, is one he shares with just about everyone—if you’ve ever had to come to grips with a life-changing event, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll identify with his poetically hopeful yet desperation-tinged rhymes here. Fortunately, Brother Ali is on hand to act as the voice of experience; as the Minneapolis rapper encourages Cas to keep his chin up, his stern delivery is tempered by Sauce‘s airy, lushly-sampled instrumental. The record’s ‘purty’ as all get-out (particularly on the production tip), and is sure to leave fans of emotionally-charged underground hip-hop hungry for more—if you fall into that camp, you’ll be happy to hear that cas One’s latest album, Liberation, is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 04/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
" Doomsday (Ode To The Butchers Thieves)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.