Somewhere along the line, the word “freestyle” went from meaning “improvised rhymes” to “pre-written verses over someone else’s beat.” On unreleased joint This Is Not a Freestyle, Seattle representative Carl Rose skewers this trend, taking aim at emcees who refuse to pay their dues over the gritty, percussion-driven beat from Gilbere Forte‘s Get It Poppin’. Fans can find the original version of Get It Poppin and much more on Forte’s recently-released, DJBooth-sponsored street album, YOTD: Year of the Dragon. Though this
song isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it should check back with us on the regular for all the latest from Carl Roe.
Written by richard on 02/8/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nobody's Nobody" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.