Here in the Booth, we’ve featured several tracks off Captain Midnite latest solo project (see Apollo, Ashes Rising), but none have been solo in the strictest sense of the word. Today, on project standout Sugar, we finally get a chance to hear the Seattle producer/vocalist carry a tune on his lonesome—and carry it he does. Over his own production, a stylishly gloomy blend of ringing guitar chords and Spaghetti-Western brass, Midnite offers a full demonstration of his unique vocal style. While his near-whispered delivery renders some of his lyrics difficult to make out, that simply adds to the record’s brooding, sultry appeal. Director Dinoden turns the atmosphere up to 11 in the record’s official visuals. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Captain Midnite’s All This Will Fade EP, released in October and available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 12/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Want It" (2011)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.