Self-titled songs aren’t for the faint of heart. You’ve got to compress everything that makes you you into a few short minutes, all while providing an experience that leaves listeners craving more. On his first feature (a Booth-exclusive world premiere here in the Booth!) Capital STEEZ attempts this audacious feat—with (in my humble opinion) impressive results. It helps that Capital STEEZ (the song) comes backed by an industry beat that’ll have underground heads nodding along from bar one. Over Madlib‘s preternaturally catchy, jazz-sampled beat from Madvillain classic All Caps, the 18-year-old Brooklynite and Pro.Era affiliate showcases a fly yet cerebral lyrical sensibility similar to that of his colleague Joey BadA$$, but nonetheless all his own: “Class clown, found it funny to correct my teachers / Stand proud, but I never said the Pledge Allegiance.” By record’s end, STEEZ has fleshed-out his smart-alecky lyrical persona so vividly that listeners will feel like they’ve known him for years. If you’re feeling it, plenty more awaits on the emcee’s Amerikkkan Korruption LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net April 7.
Written by richard on 03/14/12
Submit your Rating
Pro Era/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Survival Tactics" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.