Soft-rock icons Daryl Hall and John Oates may be about as far from “street” as you can get, but that hasn’t stopped them from achieving a surprising level of popularity on the hip-hop scene – according to whosampled.org, they’ve provided the raw material for tracks by everyone from 2 Live Crew to B-Legit to Young Jeezy. On Capeech‘s Booth debut, the up-and-coming rapper and beatsmith Jimi Scratch add their names to the long list of artists and producers to draw inspiration from the late-70’s/early-‘80s icons, flipping the elaborately-coiffured twosome’s She’s Gone into a tuneful tribute to the music that’s helped the T-Dot emcee and countless other Children of the Ghetto transcend the struggle and hardship of inner-city life: “It’s the reason we eat / It’s the reason we’re here / We started with nothing, I made it somewhere.” If the artist’s blend of nostalgia and lyrical grit doesn’t move you, the smooth sax solo on the back end should do the trick. Capeech’s forthcoming full-length isn’t set to drop till this summer, but those digging this thoughtful track can rest assured that we in the Booth will bring you all the latest tunes.
Listen to More: Capeech
Written by richard on 03/8/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.