With the number of fresh faces I’ve heard lamenting the dark side of celebrity, it seems like some rappers are born disillusioned with life in the spotlight – not The Canz; as brothers Prominent and Foster explain on their latest mixtape freestyle, they’ve been working towards musical superstardom since they were teenagers, and they’re not gonna stop till they’re World Famous. Over the Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker-produced beat that backed 808s cut Amazin, the exclusive freestyle alumni fill us all in on just how hard they’ve been grinding. JD Era, the Toronto native who brought us You Know This and Champagne Nights jumps on board to deliver an equally braggadocio-packed guest verse, and singer Danay Mariney ties it all together with some uniquely childlike yet soulful hook vocals. So have the Canz got what it takes to become “...as famous as Jenna Jameson’s anus?” (Yes, that line is actually in the song.) If you think so, you can hear more on the Mick Boogie/Terry Urban-mixed, DJBooth-sponsored Life After Graduation mixtape, out August 4.
Written by richard on 07/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.