With the number of fresh faces I’ve heard lamenting the dark side of celebrity, it seems like some rappers are born disillusioned with life in the spotlight – not The Canz; as brothers Prominent and Foster explain on their latest mixtape freestyle, they’ve been working towards musical superstardom since they were teenagers, and they’re not gonna stop till they’re World Famous. Over the Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker-produced beat that backed 808s cut Amazin, the exclusive freestyle alumni fill us all in on just how hard they’ve been grinding. JD Era, the Toronto native who brought us You Know This and Champagne Nights jumps on board to deliver an equally braggadocio-packed guest verse, and singer Danay Mariney ties it all together with some uniquely childlike yet soulful hook vocals. So have the Canz got what it takes to become “...as famous as Jenna Jameson’s anus?” (Yes, that line is actually in the song.) If you think so, you can hear more on the Mick Boogie/Terry Urban-mixed, DJBooth-sponsored Life After Graduation mixtape, out August 4.
Written by richard on 07/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.