With the number of fresh faces I’ve heard lamenting the dark side of celebrity, it seems like some rappers are born disillusioned with life in the spotlight – not The Canz; as brothers Prominent and Foster explain on their latest mixtape freestyle, they’ve been working towards musical superstardom since they were teenagers, and they’re not gonna stop till they’re World Famous. Over the Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker-produced beat that backed 808s cut Amazin, the exclusive freestyle alumni fill us all in on just how hard they’ve been grinding. JD Era, the Toronto native who brought us You Know This and Champagne Nights jumps on board to deliver an equally braggadocio-packed guest verse, and singer Danay Mariney ties it all together with some uniquely childlike yet soulful hook vocals. So have the Canz got what it takes to become “...as famous as Jenna Jameson’s anus?” (Yes, that line is actually in the song.) If you think so, you can hear more on the Mick Boogie/Terry Urban-mixed, DJBooth-sponsored Life After Graduation mixtape, out August 4.
Written by richard on 07/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.