Way back in 1994, Jamaican dancehall veteran Ini Kamoze earned his one and, to date, only Billboard #1 hit with Here Comes the Hotsteppa, a Salaam Remi-produced single off his ‘95 full-length of the same name. With more artists than ever putting their own spin on smash hits of yesteryear, it was only a matter of time before someone resurrected the track for a new generation of listeners. Enter Ghana-bred, ATL-based duo The Canz with 2010 Hot Steppa , making its world premiere right here in the Booth. While producer Logic doesn’t stray far from Remi’s original blueprint (the bass and percussion seem to pack a little more of a punch), brothers Prominent and Foster bring a welcome dash of lyricism to this revamp, repping their city in verses laced with witty braggadocio: “We grade-A here, why you wanna test that? N*gga so fly you would think I’ve got a jetpack.” This Booth-exclusive cut isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but those digging Hot Steppa 2010 can find more on the Canz’ Slow Rize mixtape, available for download at their official site.
Written by richard on 01/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)