Way back in 1994, Jamaican dancehall veteran Ini Kamoze earned his one and, to date, only Billboard #1 hit with Here Comes the Hotsteppa, a Salaam Remi-produced single off his ‘95 full-length of the same name. With more artists than ever putting their own spin on smash hits of yesteryear, it was only a matter of time before someone resurrected the track for a new generation of listeners. Enter Ghana-bred, ATL-based duo The Canz with 2010 Hot Steppa , making its world premiere right here in the Booth. While producer Logic doesn’t stray far from Remi’s original blueprint (the bass and percussion seem to pack a little more of a punch), brothers Prominent and Foster bring a welcome dash of lyricism to this revamp, repping their city in verses laced with witty braggadocio: “We grade-A here, why you wanna test that? N*gga so fly you would think I’ve got a jetpack.” This Booth-exclusive cut isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but those digging Hot Steppa 2010 can find more on the Canz’ Slow Rize mixtape, available for download at their official site.
Written by richard on 01/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.