Way back in 1994, Jamaican dancehall veteran Ini Kamoze earned his one and, to date, only Billboard #1 hit with Here Comes the Hotsteppa, a Salaam Remi-produced single off his ‘95 full-length of the same name. With more artists than ever putting their own spin on smash hits of yesteryear, it was only a matter of time before someone resurrected the track for a new generation of listeners. Enter Ghana-bred, ATL-based duo The Canz with 2010 Hot Steppa , making its world premiere right here in the Booth. While producer Logic doesn’t stray far from Remi’s original blueprint (the bass and percussion seem to pack a little more of a punch), brothers Prominent and Foster bring a welcome dash of lyricism to this revamp, repping their city in verses laced with witty braggadocio: “We grade-A here, why you wanna test that? N*gga so fly you would think I’ve got a jetpack.” This Booth-exclusive cut isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but those digging Hot Steppa 2010 can find more on the Canz’ Slow Rize mixtape, available for download at their official site.
Written by richard on 01/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly Away" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.