To date, most of our Throwback Thursday selections have been commercial hits that played an integral role in catapulting their artists to the upper echelons of mainstream success. This week, we shine the spotlight on a group that never attained the clout of a Fresh Prince or 50 Cent, but whose name continues to be uttered with reference in rap-nerd households everywhere. Luchini AKA This Is It, the 1997 lead single off Camp Lo‘s seminal Uptown Saturday Night LP, offered the listening public their first taste of the Bronx duo’s eccentrically funky, 70s-informed style. Featuring partners-in-rhyme Sonny Cheeba and Geechi Suede unleashing torrents of slick, often impenetrable (in a pre-RapGenius world) slang over Ski‘s infectious flip of Dynasty’s Adventures in the Land of Music, the cut became a left-field hit, ascending to #5 on Billboard‘s Rap Singles chart and hitting 50 on the Hot 100. Eric Heights directs the joint’s stylishly retro visual accompaniment. If this blast from the past has left you craving more from Camp Lo, you’re in luck; on Tuesday, the twosome unleashed 80 Blocks From Tiffany’s Pt. II, a free mixtape created in collaboration with hip-hop legend Pete Rock.
Written by richard on 08/1/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.