Few Booth debuts are as unassuming as Cameron Wallace‘s first feature, an album leak which found him “ridin’ round the city on a lazy Saturday,” but the cut’s effortless vibe didn’t stop readers from giving props where props were due. If the West Coast beatsmith-turned-emcee was dope on his day off, he must be an absolute beast when he gets down to work, right? Indeed—and you can see the proof on new single Pyramids. Here, the artist’s own atmospherically pulsing synth-sample arrangement sets the mood for lyrical reflections on some of the most pressing issues of our day. Taking cues from the late, great Malcolm X (who appears in the record’s sampled outro), Wallace endeavors to wake up his materialistically-motivated peers to the realities of socioeconomic oppression: “It’s a war goin’ on / not in Iraq, but right here in our homes.” As if that weren’t enough, Wallace channels another fallen legend on the hook: namely, Zapp lead singer and talkbox master Roger Troutman. Feeling this politically-charged banger? Then keep it locked for further fresh tunes leading up to the arrival of Cameron Wallace’s debut album, Hurry Up and Wait, in February.
Written by richard on 01/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.