From “California Love” to “California Dreamin,” Cali has had its fair share of anthems, but none sound quite like this impressive Booth debut from Cam Young. If you are expecting a breezy West Coast anthem, brace yourself; it might be called City of Angels, but this cut is more devilish than heavenly. Producer Kelly Portis’s boardwork may feature an angelic harp, but the powerful drums and ominous samples give it a much more demonic vibe. Cam matches the edgy production with a cutting, powerful flow (and a surprisingly smooth hook) using his bars to portray a much darker California than outsiders may recognize. For those who are craving more (I know I am), City of Angels is a standout selection off Young’s Mirrors tape, out now.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!