From “California Love” to “California Dreamin,” Cali has had its fair share of anthems, but none sound quite like this impressive Booth debut from Cam Young. If you are expecting a breezy West Coast anthem, brace yourself; it might be called City of Angels, but this cut is more devilish than heavenly. Producer Kelly Portis’s boardwork may feature an angelic harp, but the powerful drums and ominous samples give it a much more demonic vibe. Cam matches the edgy production with a cutting, powerful flow (and a surprisingly smooth hook) using his bars to portray a much darker California than outsiders may recognize. For those who are craving more (I know I am), City of Angels is a standout selection off Young’s Mirrors tape, out now.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/23/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.