From “California Love” to “California Dreamin,” Cali has had its fair share of anthems, but none sound quite like this impressive Booth debut from Cam Young. If you are expecting a breezy West Coast anthem, brace yourself; it might be called City of Angels, but this cut is more devilish than heavenly. Producer Kelly Portis’s boardwork may feature an angelic harp, but the powerful drums and ominous samples give it a much more demonic vibe. Cam matches the edgy production with a cutting, powerful flow (and a surprisingly smooth hook) using his bars to portray a much darker California than outsiders may recognize. For those who are craving more (I know I am), City of Angels is a standout selection off Young’s Mirrors tape, out now.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/23/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.