Cali Swag District has released one official single, and that single, Teach Me How to Dougie, has become a huge, huge hit. Huge. Did I mention huge? So naturally, all eyes and ears are on the California quartet, waiting to see if they can deliver another smash with their second single Where You Are. Wisely, Cali Swag aim the new effort at teenage girls, a demographic guaranteed to give you a hit, if you can please them. On the production tip Sanchez [for NYLA Production] builds the song’s hip-hop foundation on a vocal sample from another former teen heaththrob, Michael Jackson, giving District members Jay Are, C Smoove, Yung and MBone a sugary sweet sonic backdrop to lyrically profess their desire to, well, be in close proximity to a certain lovely lady. The result is a light, breezy cut I find hard to believe will achieve the same success as Dougie, but lord knows I’ve been wrong before. We’ll know for sure if Cali Swag is here to stay when their debut album The Kickback drops October 12.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.