Cali Swag District has released one official single, and that single, Teach Me How to Dougie, has become a huge, huge hit. Huge. Did I mention huge? So naturally, all eyes and ears are on the California quartet, waiting to see if they can deliver another smash with their second single Where You Are. Wisely, Cali Swag aim the new effort at teenage girls, a demographic guaranteed to give you a hit, if you can please them. On the production tip Sanchez [for NYLA Production] builds the song’s hip-hop foundation on a vocal sample from another former teen heaththrob, Michael Jackson, giving District members Jay Are, C Smoove, Yung and MBone a sugary sweet sonic backdrop to lyrically profess their desire to, well, be in close proximity to a certain lovely lady. The result is a light, breezy cut I find hard to believe will achieve the same success as Dougie, but lord knows I’ve been wrong before. We’ll know for sure if Cali Swag is here to stay when their debut album The Kickback drops October 12.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)