Cali Swag District has released one official single, and that single, Teach Me How to Dougie, has become a huge, huge hit. Huge. Did I mention huge? So naturally, all eyes and ears are on the California quartet, waiting to see if they can deliver another smash with their second single Where You Are. Wisely, Cali Swag aim the new effort at teenage girls, a demographic guaranteed to give you a hit, if you can please them. On the production tip Sanchez [for NYLA Production] builds the song’s hip-hop foundation on a vocal sample from another former teen heaththrob, Michael Jackson, giving District members Jay Are, C Smoove, Yung and MBone a sugary sweet sonic backdrop to lyrically profess their desire to, well, be in close proximity to a certain lovely lady. The result is a light, breezy cut I find hard to believe will achieve the same success as Dougie, but lord knows I’ve been wrong before. We’ll know for sure if Cali Swag is here to stay when their debut album The Kickback drops October 12.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.