Cali Swag District has released one official single, and that single, Teach Me How to Dougie, has become a huge, huge hit. Huge. Did I mention huge? So naturally, all eyes and ears are on the California quartet, waiting to see if they can deliver another smash with their second single Where You Are. Wisely, Cali Swag aim the new effort at teenage girls, a demographic guaranteed to give you a hit, if you can please them. On the production tip Sanchez [for NYLA Production] builds the song’s hip-hop foundation on a vocal sample from another former teen heaththrob, Michael Jackson, giving District members Jay Are, C Smoove, Yung and MBone a sugary sweet sonic backdrop to lyrically profess their desire to, well, be in close proximity to a certain lovely lady. The result is a light, breezy cut I find hard to believe will achieve the same success as Dougie, but lord knows I’ve been wrong before. We’ll know for sure if Cali Swag is here to stay when their debut album The Kickback drops October 12.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Teach Me How to Dougie (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.