With Valentine’s Day just one short week away, The DJBooth is receiving its regularly-scheduled influx of romantically-themed jams. Whether they’re waxing poetic about a significant other or pining after someone they can never have, you’ll be hard-pressed to find an artist who hasn’t caught an arrow or two from Cupid’s bow. Calez, however, has managed to dodge those heavenly projectiles—despite what the record’s title may lead you to expect, mixtape standout Love Text finds the Intermission emcee offering a decidedly cynical perspective on matters of the heart. Explaining his decision to pursue sex over relationships, he spits, “Love in this world always get blocked by lust / I say f*ck that, no girl I trust.” In addition to serving up a uniquely catchy chopped-sample beat, Julian Malone grabs the mic for a guest verse, describing how his own girl’s trifling behavior has eroded his faith in the female gender. Like what you’re hearing? More fresh tunes await on Calez’ RubyHornet/2DopeBoyz-hosted Kid With Raps street album, released yesterday and available now online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.