With Valentine’s Day just one short week away, The DJBooth is receiving its regularly-scheduled influx of romantically-themed jams. Whether they’re waxing poetic about a significant other or pining after someone they can never have, you’ll be hard-pressed to find an artist who hasn’t caught an arrow or two from Cupid’s bow. Calez, however, has managed to dodge those heavenly projectiles—despite what the record’s title may lead you to expect, mixtape standout Love Text finds the Intermission emcee offering a decidedly cynical perspective on matters of the heart. Explaining his decision to pursue sex over relationships, he spits, “Love in this world always get blocked by lust / I say f*ck that, no girl I trust.” In addition to serving up a uniquely catchy chopped-sample beat, Julian Malone grabs the mic for a guest verse, describing how his own girl’s trifling behavior has eroded his faith in the female gender. Like what you’re hearing? More fresh tunes await on Calez’ RubyHornet/2DopeBoyz-hosted Kid With Raps street album, released yesterday and available now online.
Written by richard on 02/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)