With Valentine’s Day just one short week away, The DJBooth is receiving its regularly-scheduled influx of romantically-themed jams. Whether they’re waxing poetic about a significant other or pining after someone they can never have, you’ll be hard-pressed to find an artist who hasn’t caught an arrow or two from Cupid’s bow. Calez, however, has managed to dodge those heavenly projectiles—despite what the record’s title may lead you to expect, mixtape standout Love Text finds the Intermission emcee offering a decidedly cynical perspective on matters of the heart. Explaining his decision to pursue sex over relationships, he spits, “Love in this world always get blocked by lust / I say f*ck that, no girl I trust.” In addition to serving up a uniquely catchy chopped-sample beat, Julian Malone grabs the mic for a guest verse, describing how his own girl’s trifling behavior has eroded his faith in the female gender. Like what you’re hearing? More fresh tunes await on Calez’ RubyHornet/2DopeBoyz-hosted Kid With Raps street album, released yesterday and available now online.
Written by richard on 02/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.