With Valentine’s Day just one short week away, The DJBooth is receiving its regularly-scheduled influx of romantically-themed jams. Whether they’re waxing poetic about a significant other or pining after someone they can never have, you’ll be hard-pressed to find an artist who hasn’t caught an arrow or two from Cupid’s bow. Calez, however, has managed to dodge those heavenly projectiles—despite what the record’s title may lead you to expect, mixtape standout Love Text finds the Intermission emcee offering a decidedly cynical perspective on matters of the heart. Explaining his decision to pursue sex over relationships, he spits, “Love in this world always get blocked by lust / I say f*ck that, no girl I trust.” In addition to serving up a uniquely catchy chopped-sample beat, Julian Malone grabs the mic for a guest verse, describing how his own girl’s trifling behavior has eroded his faith in the female gender. Like what you’re hearing? More fresh tunes await on Calez’ RubyHornet/2DopeBoyz-hosted Kid With Raps street album, released yesterday and available now online.
Written by richard on 02/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.