On chilly days in my neighborhood (Uptown Minneapolis, for anyone interested in stalking me), it’s not uncommon to see hipsters sporting the “Red & Blvck” lumberjack, with the hat to match (unkempt beard optional, but encouraged). Lest we forget, though, a certain emcee by the the name of Christopher Wallace was rocking flannel way,”way back,” in hip-hop’s formative years. On his latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), Bronx vet C-Rayz Walz takes a Biggie-sampled beat by 9th Wonder as an excuse to take longtime hip-hop lovers on a trip down Memory Lane. Backed by the Little Brother affiliate’s boom-bap percussion and gritty soul samples, the artist affirms his devotion to rap’s roots, delivering shotgun-blasts of pop-referential lyrical freshness: “Got that Wild Style foul that the Furious forged, and I relate to Black & Yellow like Curious George / Big red dog like Clifford but I think different / Like Dwayne Wade with shades on, pimpin.” Need more C-Rayz Walz in your life? Then keep it locked—neither ALL BLVCK EVERYTHING: The Prelude nor the forthcoming album have received a drop date, but you’ll be first to know when that changes.
Written by richard on 06/21/11
SUNCYCLE ENT/ Real Talk Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Catching the Strange" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)