On chilly days in my neighborhood (Uptown Minneapolis, for anyone interested in stalking me), it’s not uncommon to see hipsters sporting the “Red & Blvck” lumberjack, with the hat to match (unkempt beard optional, but encouraged). Lest we forget, though, a certain emcee by the the name of Christopher Wallace was rocking flannel way,”way back,” in hip-hop’s formative years. On his latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), Bronx vet C-Rayz Walz takes a Biggie-sampled beat by 9th Wonder as an excuse to take longtime hip-hop lovers on a trip down Memory Lane. Backed by the Little Brother affiliate’s boom-bap percussion and gritty soul samples, the artist affirms his devotion to rap’s roots, delivering shotgun-blasts of pop-referential lyrical freshness: “Got that Wild Style foul that the Furious forged, and I relate to Black & Yellow like Curious George / Big red dog like Clifford but I think different / Like Dwayne Wade with shades on, pimpin.” Need more C-Rayz Walz in your life? Then keep it locked—neither ALL BLVCK EVERYTHING: The Prelude nor the forthcoming album have received a drop date, but you’ll be first to know when that changes.
Written by richard on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
SUNCYCLE ENT/ Real Talk Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Catching the Strange" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.