If you’re like me you know C-Rayz Walz from his schizophrenically creative Def Jux days, or his work with Kosha Dillz on Freestyle vs. Written. Or, if you’re not like me at all (probably a good thing), Walz’ DJBooth debut track Catching the Strange is your first introduction to the man. Regardless, you’re in for something completely different. In typical Walz fashion the production is purely underground, thanks to a piano-line meets banging percussion beat from Falside, and the lyrics are alternately supremely dope and almost incomprehensible. I can’t be the only one who doesn’t understand what the hell “I miss my Tina Turner go pop / music like Ike / push another day like strangers in the night” means, but when you’re listening to Walz, you sometimes have to just let go and enjoy the ride. If you’re the kind of person who embraces the strange, be sure to give C-Rayz’ upcoming mixtape Dollars Make Change a big fat hug when it drops… sometime later this year, probably.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/16/10
Submit your Rating
SUNCYCLE ENT/ Real Talk Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.