If you’re like me you know C-Rayz Walz from his schizophrenically creative Def Jux days, or his work with Kosha Dillz on Freestyle vs. Written. Or, if you’re not like me at all (probably a good thing), Walz’ DJBooth debut track Catching the Strange is your first introduction to the man. Regardless, you’re in for something completely different. In typical Walz fashion the production is purely underground, thanks to a piano-line meets banging percussion beat from Falside, and the lyrics are alternately supremely dope and almost incomprehensible. I can’t be the only one who doesn’t understand what the hell “I miss my Tina Turner go pop / music like Ike / push another day like strangers in the night” means, but when you’re listening to Walz, you sometimes have to just let go and enjoy the ride. If you’re the kind of person who embraces the strange, be sure to give C-Rayz’ upcoming mixtape Dollars Make Change a big fat hug when it drops… sometime later this year, probably.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/16/10
Submit your Rating
SUNCYCLE ENT/ Real Talk Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.