If you’re like me you know C-Rayz Walz from his schizophrenically creative Def Jux days, or his work with Kosha Dillz on Freestyle vs. Written. Or, if you’re not like me at all (probably a good thing), Walz’ DJBooth debut track Catching the Strange is your first introduction to the man. Regardless, you’re in for something completely different. In typical Walz fashion the production is purely underground, thanks to a piano-line meets banging percussion beat from Falside, and the lyrics are alternately supremely dope and almost incomprehensible. I can’t be the only one who doesn’t understand what the hell “I miss my Tina Turner go pop / music like Ike / push another day like strangers in the night” means, but when you’re listening to Walz, you sometimes have to just let go and enjoy the ride. If you’re the kind of person who embraces the strange, be sure to give C-Rayz’ upcoming mixtape Dollars Make Change a big fat hug when it drops… sometime later this year, probably.
Listen to More: C-Rayz Walz
Written by Nathan S. on 02/16/10
SUNCYCLE ENT/ Real Talk Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.