On single numero uno off his next mixtape, C Plus got Deep, spitting introspective bars about the complexity that success tends to add to one’s life. At first blush, the Sac-Town emcee’s follow-up might seem superficial by comparison, but there’s more to Girls on Drugs than meets the eye. What begins as a simple ode to fast-living women, backed by Hippie Sabotage‘s hazy, keyboard-led production, takes a psychologically illuminating turn when the rhymesayer implies that his V.I.P. -room stunting can be traced back to his fear of commitment. He’s quick to clarify, however, that there’s no shame in his game: “Don’t get it twisted, I ain’t tryin’a find love / But if I was I ain’t gonna find it in the club / I’d rather play the roped-off area, rollin bud / I’m to the face wit it, I hold it like a grudge.” L.O.C.A.L. (Loyalty Over Cash and Luxury) is set to hit iTunes next Tuesday, the 11th, but Booth readers will get an early listen on Monday, when we roll out our free, exclusive stream of the set.
Written by richard on 06/5/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Game Changer" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.