If you think about, the corridors of your typical high-school hallway are something like an inner-city ‘hood in miniature: loyalty is everything, different crews are constantly vying for dominance, and the authorities are around every corner, lying in wait for a reason to exact punishment. Of course, those two realms become uncomfortably close to one another when you throw a gat into the mix. On unreleased banger Dead Man Walking, C-Plus tells the story of three students—teacher’s pet Marty, bully Eric and average guy Steve—whose intertwined fates lead to a tragedy that wouldn’t sound out of place in a gangsta-rap melodrama. Trade Voorhees sets a quirky yet unsettling mood behind the boards, layering quavering vocal samples and ominous synth-strings over a head-noddable rhythm section as the emcee showcases his knack for creating vivid characters and narrative suspense. The moral of the story? Trick question—like any good spinner of tales, C-Plus offers listeners ample room to draw their own conclusions. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those who appreciated this bracing jam can keep it locked for further freshness from the Left Coast buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 06/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Game Changer" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.