Though rappers’ competition to produce the grittiest stories of street survival often seems like a game of one-upmanship, the true value of these snapshots of hardship and triumph lies in their applicability to our own struggles, however large or small they might be. Lyriq and Commando of B.X.C are well aware of the importance of connecting with their fans’ trials and tribulations—as they put it on their latest mixtape single, “We’re goin’ through it like y’all goin’ through it.” Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, mixtape single Sometimes I Just Want to Give Up finds the freestyle series alumni lacing a contemplative instrumental by J.U.S.T.I.C.E League with memories of moments when it seemed like they simply couldn’t go on. While their portraits of crime, familial strife and addiction are as dark as you’d expect, the overall message is all about staying positive and maintaining one’s forward momentum: “You will fall one day and scuff your knees, but when you do stay strong like Hercules.” Craving more? Then log on to Twitter and follow the DTP duo—their next project is set to drop whenever they reach the 30K threshold. In addition, watch for the twosome to embark upon a college tour this fall.
Written by richard on 08/4/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love Wit The Music ft. Twista" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.