Though rappers’ competition to produce the grittiest stories of street survival often seems like a game of one-upmanship, the true value of these snapshots of hardship and triumph lies in their applicability to our own struggles, however large or small they might be. Lyriq and Commando of B.X.C are well aware of the importance of connecting with their fans’ trials and tribulations—as they put it on their latest mixtape single, “We’re goin’ through it like y’all goin’ through it.” Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, mixtape single Sometimes I Just Want to Give Up finds the freestyle series alumni lacing a contemplative instrumental by J.U.S.T.I.C.E League with memories of moments when it seemed like they simply couldn’t go on. While their portraits of crime, familial strife and addiction are as dark as you’d expect, the overall message is all about staying positive and maintaining one’s forward momentum: “You will fall one day and scuff your knees, but when you do stay strong like Hercules.” Craving more? Then log on to Twitter and follow the DTP duo—their next project is set to drop whenever they reach the 30K threshold. In addition, watch for the twosome to embark upon a college tour this fall.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love Wit The Music ft. Twista" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.