Plenty of artists refer to the music business as a “game,” but Busta Rhymes actually means it—on The Game Room, a newly-released cut of his Back on My B.S. pre-album mixtape, Rhymes reveals that he approaches “this rap sh*t” just as he would a round of Galaxian. Aside from a few allusive punchlines, the concept is mainly an excuse for DJ Scratch to accent his laid-back beat with old-school, arcadey sound effects, but I’m certainly not complaining; those bleeps and bloops bring me back to my childhood (I’m only 20, but as a kid without the scratch for a shiny SNES it was pretty much old-school or nothing). After Busta’s braggadocio-heavy opener, M.O.P.‘s Lil’ Fame jumps on board for an amped-up, entertainingly blustery second verse (“Respect my Conglomerate—I don’t even know what that word means!” is easily the funniest line I’ve heard all day). Watch for the Back on my B.S. mixtape, produced entirely by Scratch, to drop later this week, paving the way for the studio album’s May 19th release.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Right" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.