Plenty of artists refer to the music business as a “game,” but Busta Rhymes actually means it—on The Game Room, a newly-released cut of his Back on My B.S. pre-album mixtape, Rhymes reveals that he approaches “this rap sh*t” just as he would a round of Galaxian. Aside from a few allusive punchlines, the concept is mainly an excuse for DJ Scratch to accent his laid-back beat with old-school, arcadey sound effects, but I’m certainly not complaining; those bleeps and bloops bring me back to my childhood (I’m only 20, but as a kid without the scratch for a shiny SNES it was pretty much old-school or nothing). After Busta’s braggadocio-heavy opener, M.O.P.‘s Lil’ Fame jumps on board for an amped-up, entertainingly blustery second verse (“Respect my Conglomerate—I don’t even know what that word means!” is easily the funniest line I’ve heard all day). Watch for the Back on my B.S. mixtape, produced entirely by Scratch, to drop later this week, paving the way for the studio album’s May 19th release.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Right" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.