Plenty of artists refer to the music business as a “game,” but Busta Rhymes actually means it—on The Game Room, a newly-released cut of his Back on My B.S. pre-album mixtape, Rhymes reveals that he approaches “this rap sh*t” just as he would a round of Galaxian. Aside from a few allusive punchlines, the concept is mainly an excuse for DJ Scratch to accent his laid-back beat with old-school, arcadey sound effects, but I’m certainly not complaining; those bleeps and bloops bring me back to my childhood (I’m only 20, but as a kid without the scratch for a shiny SNES it was pretty much old-school or nothing). After Busta’s braggadocio-heavy opener, M.O.P.‘s Lil’ Fame jumps on board for an amped-up, entertainingly blustery second verse (“Respect my Conglomerate—I don’t even know what that word means!” is easily the funniest line I’ve heard all day). Watch for the Back on my B.S. mixtape, produced entirely by Scratch, to drop later this week, paving the way for the studio album’s May 19th release.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Right" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.