I know what you’re thinking, Booth readers: “Bun B, Royce Da 5’9” and Redman on one record? Stop Playin’!” But I assure you, the UGK lifer’s latest feature is no joke. Released to celebrate his 400,000 Twitter follow milestone, this one-off release (recorded during the Trill OG sessions) finds the Houston mainstay coming together with top-tier talents from, respectively, the Midwest and Northeast to issue the rest of the rap game an ultimatum: step it up or surrender the mic. With Mr. Inkredible‘s piano/organ loops and handclap-laced boom-bap rhythm as their backdrop, the collaborators remind us what lyrical excellence sounds like. Though all three turn in stellar verses, the headliner lands the heaviest blow, administering a reality check to artists who claim the industry is holding them back: “You blame radio, Internet and politics / but see we all really know it’s just a pile of sh*t / You ain’t playin ‘cause your music ain’t hittin’ / People don’t like you; stop hatin’, start quittin’.” Rounding out the lineup, Statik Selektah contributes old-school cuts throughout the record. This joint, as mentioned above, isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those feeling it can stay tuned for further freshness from all involved.
Written by richard on 03/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Don't Wanna Play ft. Bun B & Bad Seed" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.