There’s a reason why all the most popular sayings are short—I mean, besides the fact that a paragraph-long adage would be difficult to remember, let alone repeat accurately: the best advice is often the simplest. Take, for example, the pearl of wisdom Bun B, Colin Munroe, and Talib Kweli impart to listeners on this new track: “Don’t Die.” Whatever your beliefs on life and the hereafter, it’s a good rule of thumb—and when you find yourself in a place Where the Streets Have No Name, there’s no such thing as “too careful.” On the final leak off K-Salaam & Beatnick‘s hotly-anticipated mixtape, the Booth-approved production duo’s combo of funk guitar riffs and glittering synth arpeggios sets the stage for some sage meditations on life (and death) in the streets. Both Bun B and Talib come as hard as usual here, the former opening the track with some sobering thoughts on our current recession and the latter advising those who’d like to keep breathing to uphold the streets’ code of silence, and Munroe uses his trademark vocal filters to unconventionally catchy effect on the hook. Those digging this bracing cut can find plenty more words to live by on WtSHNN, set to drop on the 28th.
Written by richard on 07/20/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Don't Wanna Play ft. Bun B & Bad Seed" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.